Monday, January 12, 2009

Itchy Boobs

Today, I want to talk about something serious (since my last post wasn't serious enough, haha). Today, I want to call to mind a pregnancy symptom so mortifying that only a few pregnancy books even dare mention it - if at all - and when it is mentioned, it is only in passing and in hushed tones. That symptom is....drum roll please...itchy boobs. There, I've said it.

Since Week 11, I've noticed that my girls have been less sore (though do not be fooled, they are *still* quite sore!) and more, well, itchy. It started out like a nagging itch, the kind of mosquito bite that is better off left unscratched. Well, by Week 13, it graduated into a full-on eczema-ish itch. You scratch, but the itch is never satiated. Never! I'd sneak into many a restrooms to fulfill my scratching needs. Now, at Week 15 (almost 16!), I have come to a low point. Rock bottom. I am shamelessly scratching my itchy boobs in public. It feels like I have the pox up there, for chrissakes!

Yes, the itchiness is a direct result of (a) dry winter heat and (b) (VERY slowly) growing boobies, but I plead of Mother Nature, is there not a more graceful way to go through this rite of passage?!? And I think some perv might have gotten off of my scratching at the gas station the other day. Ick. Anyway, here's to hoping all of you have an itchy-boob-free pregnancy!

1 comment:

45+ and Aspiring said...

I got to you from Hot Belly Mama. I saw "itchy boobs" and immediately felt sympathy. I have very sensitive skin and have had the itchy boob problem without being pregnant. I think these solutions would still be safe for you.

My dermatologist recently recommended this and it's like this wonderful cheap miracle cure for me now--shower with Vaseline! I know it sounds nuts but first you get really wet and then you take just a little vaseline on on your hands (about the amount of your pinky finger nail or even half) and rub it on your boobs under the water. The water helps it get in your pores and not be greasy. Then you pat, not rub dry with the towel.

Also, they are hard to find, and may not be supportive enough for pregnancy, but I only wear ALL cotton bras (before I found them, I tried sticking a folded hankie between my nipple and the bra!)

That's all my advice for today. Best of luck!