Friday, January 9, 2009

Has science gone too far?

I came across this interesting article today:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gIjpMzWBAID8A0ZVKekX1sWvzlNg

My own father passed away 2 1/2 years ago after a long and arduous battle with prostate cancer. To date, scientists have not yet been able to isolate the "prostate cancer gene" - if one exists - but if they had, I wonder, would I get the test done? And if my child did test positive for the "prostate cancer gene", what exactly would I do with this information?

I watched my dad die a very slow and painful death due to this disease and his last month on Earth was especially not pretty. I do not wish it upon anyone, and I most certainly could not bear to see my own child go through it. On the other hand, how much of a role does genetics versus environment play when it comes to cancer? Certainly there are some (perhaps many!) women who carry the BRCA 1 gene but go on to live cancer-free lives because they have excellent diets, stay active and are diligent with self-exams? Furthermore, if my child had the gene, could she/he not be subjected to discrimination because of it? I can aready see the already exceedingly insurance industry hesitant to insure such individual(s).

Then again, before I start getting all self-righteous, I must address the fact that I *did* just have the Nuchal Translucency screening (not to mention the Cystic Fibrosis carrier testing), so how is testing my child for another potentially lethal illness any different? Where does one draw the proverbial ethical line in medicine? Is it prudent to make such a test (and its results) available for mass consumption? Or is it just another form of eugenics? Thoughts?

No comments: