Sunday, January 18, 2009

I f%cking need to stop with the cursing

By now, I've read "What to Expect" and "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" cover to cover about 3 times each. However, I may have (selectively) failed to notice that, right there in black and white, What to Expect says:

Listen up: Tiny bones in your fetus's ears are in place this week, making it likely that the baby can hear your voice when you're speaking (or singing in the shower)at 16 weeks pregnant. In fact, studies have found that babies who are sung to while they're in the womb recognize the same tune when it's sung to them after they are born (so choose your baby Muzak with that in mind…).


Because Cletus the Fetus got left back at 15 weeks and I am now repeating it, I still have a couple of days to clean up my potty mouth. For those of you who know me "in real life", I have quite the, um, spirited vocabulary. I know pretty much every vile 4 letter word in the English language and use them at every opportune (or inopportune) moment. I do realize that while baby may be able to hear me swear the living daylights out of my husband, dog, or anyone who crosses this hormonal/borderline crazy lady, he/she will not understand it. However, I desperately need to begin curbing my sailor-ish ways well before baby arrives. I would hate for my child to be "that child" that starts swearing at the see-saw and makes his/her teachers blush. Any pointers? Can a gal who cusses like a sailor be transformed into an Amish housewife in less than 25 weeks?

1 comment:

The Three Little Bears said...

Just start swearing in sing-song style. It's the melody they pick up on, not the words. Or maybe try to swear to the melody of ABC's next time. lol.