Monday, March 9, 2009

Sad Post - Do NOT read if you're pregnant!

I went to lunch today with a friend and she told me the most devastating, heart breaking story: her sister-in-law recently suffered a (3rd trimester) stillbirth.  It was her first child.  It would have been a baby girl.

I didn't press my friend for details because I'm already a worrier and don't need MORE to worry about, but my heart just aches for her and her family.

I didn't know her personally so I am not sure why this affected me so much.  I just know that, after today, I will no longer complain about my baby's kicks to the cervix, groin and bladder.  I won't stress about the costs of setting up a nursery, life insurance, college tuition and other costs of raising a child.  I will no longer fear stretch marks, labor pains, breastfeeding or sleep deprivation.  While my miscarriage is not a distant memory, I did find myself starting to take this pregnancy for granted.  I started feeling "entitled" to this beautiful child; that this child is/was "mine".  

Sometimes, however, God has other plans.  Babies are not "ours" for the having, they are blessings from Him and can be taken by Him at any time for reasons unclear.  I honestly don't know what I would do/how I would react if I were in my friend's sister-in-law's shoes, but I certainly do hope that she finds some peace and light during what must be very dark days.  I hope you will pray with me for her, and for all the mothers in the world who are grieving the deaths of their babies and children.  It's devastatingly unfair, but I pray that they will find the strength to overcome it, learn from it, and perhaps even blossom after some time has healed their wounds.

No comments: